It depends on who receives the payment and whether they continue to farm. If the person (including legal entities) who receives the payment plants the crop in the county, then they must purchase crop insurance for the next 2 crop years. If the person who receives the payment does not plant the crop in the county, then there is no requirement. For example, a spouse that assumes the policy and continues to farm must still purchase insurance. An estate that ceases to engage in farming would not be required to buy insurance.